Friday, August 24, 2007

Help Wanted


Looking to do a good deed and boost your karma? This one's for you. I have a storage space in upper Manhattan and had to go there today. A few blocks away, a little female kitten ran up to me, eyes wide, meowing. She's not more than a few months old, obviously a stray, very dirty, and rail-thin. She has a nasty scratch on her nose, and a large chunk of fur missing from her neck. There was a dry chicken bone on the ground that she'd been chewing on. Some kids on the corner said that she's always there.

I went to a grocery store nearby and bought a box of cat food, water, and two red bowls, and put it all under a sheltered stairwell. Halfway through devouring the food, she looked up at me for this photo:



I spent a few minutes petting her afterwards. She was purring very loudly and climbing all over me.

I would have taken her in, but I didn't have a carrying case nor would I be able to care for her properly right now. If you're in the area, please consider giving her a home or at least getting her off the street until you find someone to take her permanently.

To locate her, go to the northwest corner of Broadway and 135th. Walk west on 135th, past the Bus Stop Restaurant and towards the river. After walking past 601 West 135th, look down into the deep alley on your right and call for her. Take a box of cat food with you and shake it loudly if she doesn't respond right away.

If you go, let me know what happens so I can post it for others.

More: updated here.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww...

You're a soft touch after all!

8/24/2007 9:11 PM  
Blogger Jimmy the Saint said...

Damn!! I know someone that would head right up there, but she's out west for the next few months. :-(

8/24/2007 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Double damn -- I'm several states away. If she came up to you, she's not a true "stray" (feral). She was born in someone's home and dumped on the streets when she became "inconvenient" (no longer tiny-kitten cute, or the new boyfriend was allergic, or the landlord caught on). Blessings on you for giving her a good meal and a kind hand, which probably meant as much to her as the meal. Any chance you can take her to a local no-kill shelter? I'd be willing to kick in a little via PayPal if they needed, for instance, a "dowry" to cover her immediate medical expenses... -- Anne Laurie

8/25/2007 1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lincoln Sq Animal Hospital (212-712-9600) is affiliated with a group called The Artemis Project which saves strays on the UWS. I just donated to Artemis but don't have their literature. If you call Lincoln Sq, they will be able to link you. It's always a great feeling to save a kitten!

8/25/2007 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way down in DC here - otherwise I would be right up there. I'm a sucker for a hard luck story.

8/25/2007 11:34 AM  
Blogger Vercules said...

CR,
you should post that on a "liberal" site like Kos.

There'll be a veritable stampede to rescue this poor urchin. ;p

8/25/2007 1:03 PM  
Blogger wendyo said...

I just pray that the poor little thing doesn't end up in Jonah Goldberg's clutches, as he is known to lurk here ;-)

8/25/2007 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the Kos people love their "Pooties". Not so sure about most conservatives. ....

Anyway, you did a very good deed - brought tears to my eyes. I'm sure they will find that very special kitty a home...

8/26/2007 2:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure conservatives don't kill kittens or anything.

8/27/2007 3:06 PM  
Blogger wendyo said...

One word: FRIST!

8/28/2007 12:05 PM  
Anonymous бытовки строительные said...

Here, I don't actually think this will work.

Битумный насос

5/28/2011 4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home