Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Your New Best Friend

She's now ready for adoption. The staff named her Melanie. I visited her yesterday, and the change is incredible: clean, stronger, and healthy (for new readers, background on this with photos is here). She's still purring away loudly, and really wants to get out of that cage. If you live in the New York area and you're looking for a friend for the next fifteen years, please consider it. Call ahead before you go to be sure no one's taken her yet. The contact info is here.

When I visited yesterday, I saw two previously stray kittens in the cage next to her. They were about six inches long and not more than a week or two old. I asked the staff why each had a raw, stubby tail. The explanation: when they're not obsessing about Britney Spears or aspiring to build their neighborhood's best meth lab, some of our nation's high-achieving, ready-to-compete-in-the-global-economy youths are fond of tying newborn kittens by the tails to the back of bicycles then dragging them from behind while racing. The staff also told me that a frequent variation is chopping the front paws off cats so they can't defend themselves, then putting them in a room with an aggressive dog that hasn't been fed in a few days (if anyone knows where this is happening, give me a heads-up -- I'd love to pay a visit to some of these punks). If a nation's identity depends in part on how it treats animals, what I saw and heard was both depressing and encouraging. If you saw these animals -- clearly grateful for the care they're now getting, but perhaps also wondering what type of monsters we are -- I think you'd agree.

The veterinary center that's been treating Melanie takes these animals in from the street, gives them top-notch medical care, and keeps them until someone adopts them -- as opposed to almost all shelters that kill them fairly quickly. The cost is often many thousands of dollars per animal. It's possible only because of financial support by The Artemis Project, a New York City animal rescue organization. The website is here. Artemis is run by a woman named Dorian Rence, a musician for the New York Philharmonic (photo and bio here).

I've never held out a tin cup here. But if you've enjoyed visiting and want to return the favor, please make a tax-deductible donation to Artemis. The work it does in partnership with Lincoln Square Veterinary Hospital is great and very much needed. Again, the website for donations to Artemis is here, and the website for LSVH (where the animals rescued by Artemis are kept and cared for) is here. Let me know if you make a donation. And if you're in the area, stop by and visit some of these special critters.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's wishing the shelter lots of donations, but unfortunately I am "between jobs" right now.

I'm an environmentalist but I'm sure not from PETA. I'm fine with animals being killed in a quick and humane manner, but I do believe there's something to the theory that the people who torture animals are also inclined to be cruel to their fellow men.

TCR wrote: If a nation's identity depends in part on how it treats animals, what I saw and heard was both depressing and encouraging. If you saw these animals -- clearly grateful for the care they're now getting, but perhaps also wondering what type of monsters we are -- I think you'd agree.

Who Would Jesus Torture?
... According to childhood friends, Bush used to blow up frogs with firecrackers and shoot them with BB guns. As several therapists have pointed out, this cruelty to animals is a trait he shares with many serial killers. Bush was embroiled in a scandal at Yale when it was discovered that he branded pledges at his fraternity with red-hot wires. ... He mocked born-again Christian Karla Faye Tucker's plea for clemency, "Please don't kill me, Mr. Bush."

---------------

But I'm not trying to say George Bush caused the moral decline of this country by himself, I'm trying to say his election and re-election was a symptom of the moral decline which started much earlier.

9/12/2007 10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"youths are fond of tying newborn kittens by the tails to the back of bicycles then dragging them from behind while racing. The staff also told me that a frequent variation is chopping the front paws off cats so they can't defend themselves, then putting them in a room with an aggressive dog that hasn't been fed in a few days"

Seriously? Wait...

Seriously?

I just don't get people sometimes.

9/13/2007 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a contributor and volunteer for Harmony House (hhforcats.org) I just want to say thanks.

9/13/2007 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you took the time to do something about it rather than walk by. I sent my contribution in today.

9/14/2007 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the guy who turned you on to Lincoln Sq and the Artemis Project I am so happy to get this news. I spoke to Emily at Lincoln Sq today and she told me that Melanie was out of her cage and in the waiting room for the first time today, and that she continues to do great. Again, i am so happy to have been a part of saving this obviously terrific animal. If I didn't have 2 of my own already, I'd take her.

9/14/2007 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you think what happened to those kittens is bad, just read up on how we make meat. Guaranteed to transform you into a vegan for life. I do want to say though that cruelty to animals is not an American condition - it's a human one.

9/18/2007 1:35 AM  
Blogger bee said...

If you're in NYC the ASPCA on 91st and 1st also takes in animals and has a no-kill policy. You can also volunteer there to walk and help socialize stray dogs.

10/06/2007 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home