Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Never Wrong, Just Early

It shouldn't come as a surprise that the White House has resorted to predicting history's inevitable approval on Iraq. Get ready to hear this come out of Crawford for the next few decades. It's a catch-all way to rationalize failure and avoid the crushing psychological consequences of being wrong, so it's perfect for this president. That's why it's nothing new for him.

In 1993, Major League Baseball decided to realign its leagues and introduce a wild-card playoff format. Team owners voted 27-1 in favor of the change. The lone dissenter was Texas Rangers co-owner George W. Bush. His comment after the vote: "I made my arguments and went down in flames. History will prove me right."

The result? The realignment and revised playoff format has been wildly successful and almost universally accepted, even by the sport's hidebound purists (including me).

But hey, it's only been a little over a decade. When the timeline is infinite, there's always a chance that one day someone might call you a prophet.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. Thanks for reminding me that I agreed with George W. Bush about something once.

9/04/2007 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It still seems weird to me that Milwaukee is in the National League...

9/04/2007 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What incompetence dodger said. I'm a conservative when it comes to baseball. I'm still waiting for them to do away with the DH.

9/04/2007 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it's shocking to realize that I agreed with W on anything. I *still* hate the wild card -- but I never objected to realignment, even though it moved my Tigers out of the AL Eastern Division . . .

9/04/2007 2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about hearing things out of Crawford. Bush will sell the "ranch" Jan 21, 2009. So after 10 years and millions in improvements ( probably paid for by the taxpayers ) he will make a pretty tidy profit.

9/04/2007 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A stopped clock is right twice a day....... and even idiots can be right once in awhile.

9/05/2007 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home