Thursday, October 05, 2006

Stranger In A Strange Land

By nature I'm an optimist, which I know doesn't come across in this space because blogs, like the 6pm news, generally focus on controversy and what's going wrong. And with incompetence and lies and wars gone south dominating the headlines, it's easy to forget that we have it pretty good in the U.S. When we flick the switch, the lights come on. When we turn the faucet, water comes out. That sets us apart from much of the rest of the world.

But every so often I notice a symptom of a broken system, and my optimism is tested. This week I wanted to rent a mailbox at a U.S. post office. I arrived with my driver's license, birth certificate, and social security card, thinking these would more than suffice. After waiting in line for twenty minutes, I presented my documents to the clerk. He looked at them for a few seconds and said that two documents were required to rent a box, but only my driver's license was acceptable. When I asked for an explanation, he pointed to a sign that listed the acceptable documents. Indeed, a birth certificate and a social security card were not on the list. What was? An "alien registration card" and a "certificate of naturalization."

I don't know what genius in the federal bureaucracy decided that a driver's license, birth certificate, and a social security card together aren't enough to rent a post office box. But when a green card trumps a U.S. birth certificate in the eyes of the federal government, something has gone terribly wrong.



Postscript: What document did the post office ultimately accept after rejecting my birth certificate and social security card? A copy of my current apartment lease.

9 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

TCR, you left us hanging. What documents would have then worked for you? Were there other documents than an "alien registration card" or certificate of naturalization" that qualified? What documents would a natural born citizen have needed?

Or perhaps I need to go down to the Post Office to find out. Or Google it.

10/05/2006 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only reason I can think of is that they wanted something that is issued by the federal government. Birth certs are local issued. I don't know why SS cards are not valid, but probably isn't because they're so easily counterfeited.

10/05/2006 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The common denominator that unites a driver's license, alien registration card (a.k.a. legal permanent resident card, a.k.a. "green" card), and certificate of U.S. naturalization is that they are all forms of photo ID.

Loff your blog, cunningrealist.

10/05/2006 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to previous poster: but they accepted a lease (which does not contain a photo) over a birth cert and SS card.

10/05/2006 1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The p.o.'s preference, however, is for two forms of photo ID. (Hey, I never said the federal government made sense, heh! Otherwise, a military ID would have been OK.)

10/05/2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Holly Hodder said...

Apt. lease? Heck, I figured you for an owner, even a co-op owner.

10/05/2006 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Broken government: as above, so below.

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060417fa_fact

This article was posted in April. I wonder if the following miscalculation is being factored into the coming war on Iran?

“The best terror network in the world has remained neutral in the terror war for the past several years,” the Pentagon adviser on the war on terror said of Hezbollah. “This will mobilize them and put us up against the group that drove Israel out of southern Lebanon. If we move against Iran, Hezbollah will not sit on the sidelines. Unless the Israelis take them out, they will mobilize against us.” (When I asked the government consultant about that possibility, he said that, if Hezbollah fired rockets into northern Israel, “Israel and the new Lebanese government will finish them off.”)

Linked from http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x2320781

10/05/2006 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should've went to the UPS Store or Mailboxes etc

10/05/2006 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charles Barkley: "I Was A Republican - Until They Lost Their Minds"

10/08/2006 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home