Saturday, December 08, 2007

"It Could Not Be Released"

What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the government had to act on information which the people could not understand, or so dangerous that, even if the people could understand it, it could not be released because of national security.

Milton Mayer, They Thought They Were Free

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I just walked over here from Sullivan's blog and found you about to get drawn and quartered by the Israeli faction of the Weimar Republic.

You said exactly what I've tried to say about the Israel/U.S. relationship. I'm impressed.

I don't care that they're Jewish or Semites or anything else about the people, I just care that they expect our acquiescence. By definition, wouldn't they need to be a state or a territory of the U.S. to expect that? Wouldn't it be absurd to ask that as a question?

Wouldn't it be absurd to act like that's an inappropriate question?

Apparently not.

I'm reading you from now on. Even if only to watch the execution :)

12/10/2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

And of course I meant that for this post

12/10/2007 10:33 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Will you stop posting stuff like this?!! It's scaring me!

Good thing I have dual citizenship with Ireland. If things go back, hopefully I can get out in time.

12/10/2007 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never heard of this book, and I'm chilled by this excerpt. I don't have dual citizenship with Ireland, but I can get it. Looks like I should start the paperwork.....

12/11/2007 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home